Dec. 20, 2014 —
December 20, 2014
Release # 20141220
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA - U.S. and partner nation military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria Dec. 20 using fighter and bomber aircraft to conduct five airstrikes. Separately, U.S. and partner nation military forces conducted eight airstrikes in Iraq Dec. 20 using fighter, bomber, and attack aircraft against the ISIL terrorists.
The following is a summary of those strikes:
* Near Kobani, five airstrikes destroyed eight ISIL fighting positions.
* Near Tal Afar, three airstrikes destroyed an ISIL building, an ISIL mortar, six ISIL technical vehicles and struck an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL checkpoint.
* Near Ar Rut bah, three airstrikes destroyed an ISIL checkpoint and four ISIL tactical vehicles and damaged an ISIL storage container.
* Near Mosul, an airstrike destroyed seven ISIL machine guns and two ISIL bunkers.
* Near Bayji, an airstrike destroyed three ISIL buildings and struck a large ISIL unit.
All aircraft returned to base safely. Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, the region and the wider international community. The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the U.S., Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Netherlands and the United Kingdom. Coalition Nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the U.S., Bahrain, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.