Compiled from International Security Assistance Force Joint Command News Releases
WASHINGTON (October 24, 2011) — Coalition forces called in an airstrike to destroy an insurgent compound in the Sangin district of Afghanistan’s Helmand province yesterday, military officials reported.
Insurgents had used the compound to conduct attacks and make improvised explosive devices, officials said, adding that no civilians were harmed during the operation.
In other Afghanistan operations yesterday:
– A combined force detained several suspects while searching in the Gardez district of Paktia province for a Haqqani network leaderwho builds and stores explosives and weapons and leads insurgents in roadside-bomb attacks throughout the Zurmat and Gardez districts. The security force also confiscated explosives, grenades, assault rifles, bayonets, ammunition and ammo pouches.
– In the Dzadran district of Paktia province, a combined force called in an airstrike that killed several insurgents. The operation targeted insurgent fighters in the Dzadran and Shwak districts.
– A combined force detained a suspect while searching for a Taliban facilitator in the Khugyani district of Nangarhar province. The facilitator provides weapons, ammunition and roadside bombs to insurgents.
– A combined force detained multiple suspects during an operation in the Maidan Shahr district of Wardak province.
In Oct 22 operations:
– A combined patrol detained two suspects and seized an improvised explosive device in the Khash Rod district of Nimroz province.
– In the Musa Qalah district of Helmand province, a combined force killed an insurgent and detained two suspects during a search for a Taliban leader who negotiates with narcotic suppliers to provide finances for insurgent operations.
– A combined force confiscated two 122 mm rockets and four mortar rounds in the Kandahar district of Kandahar province.
– Afghan and coalition forces detained 18 suspects during operations throughout Regional Command East. Coalition troops detained seven suspects in the Sabari district of Khost province. In the Yosef Khel district of Paktika province, Afghan police detained two suspects who fired at coalition forces. Two other suspects were detained in Khost province, one by the Afghan border police and the other by Afghan soldiers. Coalition forces in the Bagram district of Parwan province detained six more suspects, and another suspect was detained for fleeing a weapons cache in the Khas Kunar district of Kunar province. The cache contained two rifles, more than 120 rounds of ammunition, a pistol, binoculars and two tactical vests.
– In the Deh Yak district of Ghazni province, a combined patrol seized 2,400 7.62mm rounds.
In Oct. 21 Afghanistan operations:
– A combined patrol killed several insurgents and detained a suspect in the Kajaki district of Helmand province. The patrol seized 441 pounds of opium, narcotics processing equipment and 66 pounds of IED charges.