Afghan soldiers and their U.S. counterparts march toward Gerekheyl village during an early morning patrol in Nangarhar province, Afghanistan, on June 14, 2011.
WASHINGTON (July 18, 2011) — An Afghan-led combined security force in the Kandahar district of Afghanistan’s Kandahar province today found and destroyed a cache of 103 mortar rounds, military officials reported.
In operations throughout Afghanistan yesterday:
– An Afghan-led combined force detained numerous suspected insurgents and confiscated grenades, an assault rifle with several magazines, a rifle and a chest rack yesterday while searching for a Haqqani terrorist network leader in Khost province’s Terayzai district who is responsible for coordinating attacks against the Afghan army.
– An Afghan-led force detained a suspected insurgent in Takhar province’s Bangi district while searching for an Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan leader who directs insurgents and is a liaison to the Taliban network, other insurgent leaders in Pakistan and IMU contacts in Afghanistan and Iran.
– In Balkh province’s Chimtal district, an Afghan-led force detained several suspected insurgents while searching for a Taliban leader who obtains supplies and collects taxes to pay for Taliban operations in the province’s western region.
– In Kandahar province’s Panjwai district, an Afghan-led force detained several suspected insurgents while searching for a Taliban leader who leads roadside-bomb attacks and moves bomb-making materials in eastern Panjwai.
– Also in Panjwai, a combined force detained a suspected insurgent during a clearance operation.
– An Afghan-led force captured a Taliban leader and two other suspected insurgents in Zabul province’s Shah Joy district. The leader coordinates attacks against Afghan and coalition forces.
– In Helmand province’s Nahr-e Saraj district, a combined force detained several suspected insurgents while looking for a Taliban leader who directs attacks in the district and provides shelter, food, equipment and guidance to Taliban fighters.
– An Afghan-led force detained two suspected insurgents while searching for a Taliban organizer in Paktika province’s Zurmat district. The leader advises insurgents in the province’s Mata Khan district.
– A Haqqani network leader and two of his associates were detained during an overnight operation in Khost province’s Sabari district. The Haqqani leader coordinated roadside-bomb and direct-fire attacks against the Afghan army.
In July 16 operations:
– An Afghan-led security force killed more than 10 insurgents and detained a suspected insurgent in an intelligence-driven search for a Taliban leader and his network in Nangarhar province’s Kuz Kunar district. The leader conducts attacks against Afghan government officials and security forces, and works as an organizer in the district.
When the force began assessing the targeted building, insurgents fired on them with machine guns, rocket-propelled grenades and assault rifles. The force returned fire, killing several insurgents. The Afghan-led force, using native languages, called for remaining insurgents to come out peacefully, but they continued their assault. The security force called in an air strike, which killed several more insurgents and destroyed the building.
– An Afghan-led force detained two suspected insurgents in Takhar province’s Taloqan district, while searching for an Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan organizer who coordinates suicide attacks and reportedly was planning imminent attacks.
– In Helmand province’s Nahr-e Saraj district, an Afghan-led force detained several suspected insurgents while looking for a Taliban leader who takes part in roadside-bomb and small-arms attacks against Afghan forces.
– A coalition patrol found two mortars, 109 mortar rounds, 20 rocket-propelled grenades, 23 antipersonnel mines, an antitank mine, 32 grenades, 30 fuses and several meters of detonation cord in Khost province’s Tanai district.
– In Logar province’s Muhammad Aghah district, a coalition patrol found about 1,200 pounds of potassium chloride and a jug filled with 40 pounds of homemade explosives.
– An Afghan-led force in Khost province’s Sabari district captured a Haqqani network organizer and two of his associates. The organizer moved Haqqani fighters and finances, and had communication ties with Haqqani members in Miriam Shah, Pakistan.
In July 15 operations:
– An air weapons team killed two insurgents when they posed a threat to a combined patrol that was targeting a drug lab in Helmand province’s Baghran district. The lab yielded 2,205 pounds of calcium oxide, three opium presses, two drying vats and narcotics-production equipment.
– An Afghan-led force killed two insurgents, including a Taliban leader, in Balkh province’s Chahar Bolak district. The three were killed after they fired on the combined force. The Taliban leader was responsible for roadside-bomb and small-arms attacks against Afghan forces and organized roadside-bomb attacks in the Chimtal and Chahar Bolak districts. The force confiscated grenades, assault rifles, bomb components and chest racks.
– In Nangarhar province’s Surkh Rod district, an Afghan-led force detained numerous suspected insurgents while searching for a Taliban leader who directs roadside-bomb and direct-fire attacks against Afghan forces and provides insurgents with weapons throughout the province’s Khugyani district.