NEWS | June 2, 2010

Forces seize Taliban 'shadow governor' in Afghanistan

By None , ISAF Public Affairs Office

KABUL, Afghanistan (June 2, 2010) – The newly appointed Taliban shadow governor of Baghlan province was captured May 31 by an Afghan-international force as he prepared to leave for Pakistan.

His predecessor was killed in a coalition airstrike the previous day, and this capture marks the third time in as many weeks that the Taliban have had to replace named shadow governors for Baghlan province because of coalition operations.

An insurgent was killed and several other suspects also were detained by the assault force during the operation in Baghlan-e Jadid district after intelligence information revealed insurgent activity.

As the joint force prepared to transport troops from the completed operation, it was discovered that a helicopter's transmission and engines were irreparably damaged and it could not return to its base. Troops left using another helicopter after maintenance experts inspected the aircraft and decided to destroy it on site. The helicopter did not receive any enemy fire.

In another operation, Afghan National Army soldiers of the 207th Corps, supported by troops with the NATO International Security Assistance Force, discovered a weapons cache in Bala Murghab, Badghis province, May 31 after receiving a tip from civilians.

The cache contained 11 mortar rounds, eight heavy artillery rounds, a mine, 100 steel projectiles and several items suitable for the production of improvised explosive devices.

Afghanistan national security forces with ISAF partners conducted an operation in the Baghran valley May 30 to disrupt Taliban command, control, and influence in the area, and to capture an insurgent who has supplied Taliban fighters with weapons and components for roadside bombs throughout northern Helmand province.

The Afghan and ISAF combined force surrounded numerous compounds suspected of being hideouts for insurgents in the valley. After ensuring all residents exited the compounds safely, the combined force detained two men. Several women and children were protected in the operation, in which no shots were fired and no civilians were injured.