Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
OPERATIONAL CONTRACT SUPPORT
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
CENTCOM NEWCOMER INFORMATION
USCENTCOM UNCLASSIFIED REGULATIONS
Press Release View
| June 15, 2017
June 15: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
June 15, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA —
On June 14, Coalition military forces conducted 28 strikes consisting of 67 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted 21 strikes consisting of 28 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Abu Kamal, five strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit, destroyed two ISIS well heads, and damaged a weapons cache, a weapons factory, and a VBIED factory.
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, five strikes destroyed eight ISIS oil storage tanks, four ISIS oil separator tanks, and three ISIS well heads.
* Near Raqqah, 11 strikes engaged eight ISIS tactical units; destroyed nine fighting positions, three ISIS boats, and a vehicle; and suppressed an ISIS tactical unit.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted seven strikes consisting of 39 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Al Huwayjah, two strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed an ISIS boat and an ISIS staging area.
* Near Al Qaim, one strike destroyed a VBIED factory.
* Near Mosul, three strikes engaged three ISIS tactical units; destroyed seven fighting positions, two tunnels, a mortar system, and a medium machine gun; and damaged a fighting position.
* Near Tal Afar, one strike destroyed a mortar system.
Additionally, 13 strikes were conducted in Syria and Iraq on June 13 that closed within the last 24 hours.
* On June 13, near Raqqah, Syria, 10 strikes engaged four ISIS tactical units and a sniper and destroyed a fighting position, a tunnel, an ISIS headquarters, a weapons cache, a vehicle, and a VBIED.
* On June 13, near Kisik, Iraq, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit, destroyed an ISIS tunnel and a sniper position, and damaged 12 ISIS supply routes.
* On June 13, near Mosul, Iraq, two strikes engaged two ISIS tactical units and destroyed four fighting positions, two vehicles, a tunnel, a weapons cache, an anti-air artillery system, a rocket-propelled grenade system, and a medium machine gun.
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and ground-based tactical artillery.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.