January 31, 2015
Release # 20150131
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA - On Jan. 30, U.S. and Coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria, using fighter aircraft to conduct 10 airstrikes. Separately, U.S. and Coalition military forces conducted 17 airstrikes in Iraq, using attack and fighter aircraft against ISIL terrorists. All strikes took place between 8 a.m., Jan. 30, and 8 a.m., Jan. 31, local time.
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted since the last press release:
* Near Kobani, eight airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units and an ISIL building and destroyed five ISIL fighting positions, an ISIL vehicle, an ISIL artillery system, and an ISIL staging position.
* Near Dayr az Zawr, two airstrikes destroyed four ISIL buildings, an ISIL bunker and an ISIL vehicle.
* Near Al Asad, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL rocket tube.
* Near Tal Afar, two airstrikes struck an ISIL large tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL VBIED factory, an ISIL building, six ISIL vehicles, two ISIL heavy weapons and two ISIL pieces of engineer equipment.
* Near Balad, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed two ISIL armored vehicles and an ISIL vehicle.
* Near Mosul, two airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units.
* Near Ramadi, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
* Near Kirkuk, 10 airstrikes struck two ISIL large tactical units, three ISIL tactical units, four ISIL vehicles, and destroyed an ISIL bunker, three ISIL VBIEDs, an ISIL bulldozer, two ISIL armored vehicles, an ISIL artillery system, seven ISIL fighting positions, four ISIL buildings, and four ISIL vehicles.
Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community. The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the U.S., Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Netherlands, and the United Kingdom. Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the U.S., Bahrain, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.