October 19, 2015
Release # 201510019-01
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA — On Oct. 18, coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria and Iraq. In Syria, coalition military forces conducted one strike using fighter aircraft. Separately in Iraq, coalition military forces conducted 17 strikes coordinated with and in support of the Government of Iraq using rocket artillery and bomber, fighter, attack, and remotely piloted aircraft ISIL targets.
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted against ISIL since the last press release:
• Near Manbij, one strike destroyed three ISIL tactical vehicles.
• Near Al Baghdadi, one strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL bunker and wounded an ISIL fighter.
• Near Bayji, two strikes struck two separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL mortar system.
• Near Fallujah, one strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL weapons cache, an ISIL building, and an ISIL mortar system.
• Near Kisik, one strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL vehicle and wounded an ISIL fighter.
• Near Ramadi, four strikes struck two separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed four ISIL fighting positions, four ISIL buildings, four ISIL heavy machine guns, two ISIL vehicles, and denied ISIL access to terrain.
• Near Sinjar, four strikes struck two separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed 17 ISIL fighting positions, two ISIL vehicles, an ISIL assembly area, and two ISIL command and control nodes.
• Near Tal Afar, four strikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL vehicle, four ISIL fighting positions, and wounded an ISIL fighter.
Strike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
Separately, on October 15 near Aleppo, Syria, U.S. military forces conducted one airstrike against a network of veteran al Qa'ida operatives, sometimes called the "Khorasan Group," who are plotting external attacks against the United States and our allies. The airstrike destroyed a vehicle. This strike was previously reported as an ISIL strike
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations which have conducted strikes in Iraq include Australia, Canada, France, Jordan, Netherlands, United Kingdom, and the United States. Coalition nations which have conducted strikes in Syria include Australia, Bahrain, Canada, France, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, and the U.S.