Feb. 28, 2015 —
February 28, 2015
Release # 20150228
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA — On Feb. 27, U.S. and Coalition military forces continued to
attack ISIL terrorists in Syria, using attack, fighter, bomber and remotely
piloted aircraft to conduct 9 airstrikes. Separately, U.S. and Coalition
military forces conducted 11 airstrikes in Iraq, using attack, fighter and
remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL terrorists. All strikes took place
between 8 a.m., Feb. 27, and 8 a.m., Feb. 28, local time.
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted since the last press
- Near Kobani, four airstrikes destroyed two ISIL tactical units and four
ISIL fighting positions.
- Near Al Hasakah, three airstrikes struck three ISIL tactical units and
destroyed three ISIL vehicles.
- Near Tal Hamis, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed
an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Aleppo, one airstrike struck two ISIL tactical units and destroyed an
ISIL HQ building.
- Near Al Asad, four airstrikes struck a large ISIL tactical unit, an ISIL
tactical unit, destroyed four ISIL fighting positions and an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Sinjar, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroyed one
ISIL building, damaged another, and destroyed an ISIL vehicle and damaged
- Near Mosul, three airstrikes destroyed an ISIL mortar and an ISIL fighting
- Near Fallujah, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL humvee and an ISIL front
- Near Al Huwayjah, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL tactical unit.
Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the
operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to
Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community. The
destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist
group's ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations
which have conducted airstrikes in Iraq include Australia, Belgium, Canada,
Denmark, France, Jordan, Netherlands, United Kingdom and the U.S. Coalition
nations which have conducted airstrikes in Syria include the U.S., Bahrain,
Jordan, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and the U.S.