Feb. 23, 2015 —
February 23, 2015
Release # 20150223
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA — On Feb. 22, U.S. and Coalition military forces continued to
attack ISIL terrorists in Syria, using attack, fighter, bomber and remotely
piloted aircraft to conduct 18 airstrikes. Separately, U.S. and Coalition
military forces conducted seven airstrikes in Iraq, using attack, fighter
and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL terrorists. All strikes took
place between 8 a.m., Feb. 22, and 8 a.m., Feb. 23, local time.
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted since the last press
- Near Al Hasakah, 11 airstrikes struck ten ISIL tactical units and
destroyed two ISIL vehicles, an ISIL bunker and an ISIL fighting position.
- Near Dayr az Zawr, an airstrike struck an ISIL crude oil collection
- Near Kobani, six airstrikes struck an ISIL large tactical unit, four
ISIL tactical units, an ISIL fighting position and destroyed four ISIL fighting positions.
- Near Al Asad, three airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units, an
ISIL fighting position and destroyed an ISIL checkpoint and an ISIL fighting position.
- Near Ar Rutbah, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Kirkuk, an airstrike stuck an ISIL tactical unit.
- Near Mosul, an airstrike struck an ISIL checkpoint.
- Near Tal Afar, an airstrike destroyed four ISIL armored vehicles.Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the
operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to
Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community. The
destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist
group's ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations
which have conducted airstrikes in Iraq include the U.S., Australia,
Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Netherlands, and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Syria include the U.S.,
Bahrain, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.