Jan. 24, 2015 —
January 23, 2015
Release # 2015023
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA - On Jan. 22, U.S. and Coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria, using attack, bomber, and fighter aircraft to conduct 12 airstrikes. Separately, U.S. and Coalition military forces conducted 13 airstrikes in Iraq, using attack, bomber, and fighter aircraft against ISIL terrorists. All strikes took place between 8 a.m., Jan. 22, and 8 a.m., Jan. 23, local time.
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted since the last press release:
* Near Kobani, 10 airstrikes struck six ISIL tactical units and a large ISIL unit and destroyed 12 ISIL fighting positions and an ISIL vehicle.
* Near Ar Raqqah, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL trailer.
* Near Al Hasakah, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL mobile oil drilling rig.
* Near Al Asad*, three airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units, a large ISIL unit, and an ISIL vehicle, and destroyed an ISIL IED and two ISIL vehicles.
* Near Mosul, eight airstrikes struck three ISIL tactical units and a large ISIL unit and destroyed seven ISIL vehicles, two ISIL VBIEDs, an ISIL bulldozer, four ISIL buildings, an ISIL artillery system, an ISIL heavy weapon system, two ISIL armored vehicles, an ISIL shipping container, and an ISIL bunker.
* Near Sinjar, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL building.
* Near Tal Afar, an airstrike struck a large ISIL unit and destroyed an ISIL building and an ISIL vehicle.
Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community. The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the U.S., Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Netherlands, and the United Kingdom. Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the U.S., Bahrain, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.